CERTIFIED EMISSION REDUCTIONS
Our four hydropower stations prevent the emission of 94,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide annually.
The market for carbon credits is a global effort to reduce the emission of greenhouse gases. Carbon Credits encourage businesses to avoid or reduce their emission of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.
GRUPO SECACAO CARBON CREDITS
As of the first international certification mechanism for reduced emissions for developing countries, Grupo Secacao develops its renewable energy generation projects under the guidelines of the Clean Development Mechanism (CDM); backed by the United Nations and the Kyoto Protocol, the CMD the first and strictest model for reduced greenhouse gas emission certifications.
Besides being certified under the Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) before the United Nations, Grupo Secacao’s renewable energy generation projects are also certified under ISO 9001-2008. They are characterized by their small scale, strict environmental control, and extensive reforestation and watershed protection programs.
Due to their social environmental qualities, Grupo Secacao’s carbon credits have gained entry into the strict European markets, which are also interested in the positive impact of sustainable development in Guatemala.
We are accredited annually with 31,000 Certified Emission Reductions, and these are for sale.
For more information, contact us.
WHAT ARE CARBON CREDITS?
Carbon credits are certificates of reduced emissions. They are known as CERs (Certified Emission Reductions) and are equivalent to one tonne of prevented carbon dioxide emissions. These carbon credits, after going through strict registration, verification, and certification processes before the United Nations, are accredited to projects whose implementation has represented the capture of greenhouse gases or the avoidance of their emission.
Renewable energy projects, such as hydropower stations or solar power stations, represent the reduction of emissions of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere because they generate energy that, in their absence, would have been generated by burning fossil fuels (significant emitters of greenhouse gases).
WHO PURCHASES CARBON CREDITS?
- Countries or entities that have acquired the commitment to reduce or compensate for their greenhouse gas emissions.
- Entities and people who wish to neutralize the carbon footprint of an event, activity, process, product, etc.
- Countries, entities, and people interested in supporting the development of projects that reduce or capture greenhouse gas emissions.
- Entities whose headquarters demand the reduction or compensation of their own greenhouse gas emissions.
- Entities and people interested in neutralizing or reducing their carbon footprints and contributing to sustainable development.
- Entities and people committed to the environment and to fighting climate change.
- Entities interested in improving their corporate image for commercial, social, or other ends.